Prea beach is one of the best places in the world to practice kitesurfing, located only 10 km south at the border of Jericoacoara National Park.
The beach is a 10 mile-long bay with white sand, and offers wind side-on-shore from the right, every day from 11 am, without rocks or obstacles.
In regards to the wind conditions in Prea, almost every day between July and December/January, 20 knots in the morning and 25 to 30 in the afternoon, then it usually drops about 5 knots before sunset.
In September, October and November, you may get 3-5 days a month with 35 knots in the afternoon, due to the new moon and full moon.
Below, the wind and water conditions in Prea:
- Steady winds from south east to east the whole year.
- Side onshore wind direction from right.
- Before 10am slightly offshore then all day long side onshore.
- Peaktime between 12am and 14pm - around 3-5 knots more.
- Full and new moon slightly change the strengh for 2-3 days. (stronger orweaker)
- Cloudcover changes the strengh around 3 knots. (usually weaker then)
- Windy season starts with June and usually ends with february.
- Charakteristics are changing with the tides * (level of the sea)
- Steady water temperature throughout the year.
- High water quality - no lixo.
- Easy to enter - wide shallow area due to sediments from various rivers.
- Travelling on the beach - check tides.
* Almost flat water/ windwaves at low tide.
* Choppy conditions at medium tide with nice kickers close to beach.
* Beachbreak and choppy conditions at high tide - no close out waves.